Saturday, June 2, 2012

Summary of Stay at Carlo and Julian

Wow, so I'm a little challenged as to what things I should narrow the summary to. Lots of things.

My main task in the vineyard was shoot thinning. Row after row. This is where the now present back and leg aches came from, and where I developed my sunburn-turned-tan specifically on my arms, hands and left shoulder. Haha. I could spend six hours out there and do nothing but thinning.

Towards the end of the stay I turned to gardening work. In the vegetable garden we planted potatoes, peppers, eggplant... and weeded the beets. The thicket of climbing rose bushes and scattering of ruthless blackberries around the house gave me hours of gratifying work. I discovered old pathways amongst the calendula and thistle...tied back a plum tree and supported the drooping peonies, and trimmed the boxwood into a proper low-wall on the west side.

A task that required special attention was that of feeding the cats in the morning. As soon as the kibble hits the concrete the ducks sprint in waddle over to the pile. The cats, not particularly defensive, or perhaps avoiding an unwanted smack on the ear, step back and let the 3 ducks in. So whoever was feeding them had to stand about and run at the ducks when they got close. They were extremely persistent, and I have pictures to show their tactics.

I did a nice bit of fence-work for the lambs in pouring rain and the day after we opened the new grazing area; a mama sheep got herself caught on all sides in a blackberry patch. She eventually let me work her out of it and the adventure of gathering all the sheep and their matching lambs included coercing two back from the garden and into the pen (which I had left open at some point).

Memorial Day weekend in the Willamette Valley is considered "Wine Weekend". So we catered to the needs of many customers and visitors around the tasting room the length of three days. The need for animal rescue came again that Sunday when one of the cats brought over a live starling and i practically pinned the thing down to pry the bird out of his mouth, which encouraged a lengthy event of distracting the cat and getting the bird away. (Silly maybe but I've been known to move caterpillars off grass before mowing.....)

Two nights ago Mae was yowling outside the cabin with a catch in her mouth. When I looked to see what she was staring at I saw a skunk waddle his way up into the rows and then when he was gone she came and presented me with her lovely trophy. We had a great thunderstorm with some hail, lightning and a rainbow all at the same time. I walked to McMinnville and back via highway 47 just to say I did it. Attended the small farmer's market there another night, and also went with Felix and Madeline to a free-form dance class at the college. That was fun with an eight year old encouraging me to keep jumping around for 90 mins. :)

Jeez look at the novel I produced...amazing. But I could keep going. I learned so much about different things there, and from all of the great people both working there and in the town. I learned a lot about cooking from Felix who makes nothing but excellent food. Soooo good. I will prorbably return for harvest and crush just to check things out again. So now, finally, I will post another group of photos for you all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment