Sunday, June 10, 2012

Nutrient Rich

And by nutrient rich, I'm talking about all aspects; from the physical make up of the soil here, to my experiences and growth.

These hosts here at Cascadia Chestnuts have been really awesome. Andee and Chris are knowledgeable and always committed to having me get what I need or want from the time I have available here. They have both lived on this land for over 20 years and have lived in Oregon, as a whole, much longer. Andee keeps busy at a part time nursing job and when she's not doing that she is focusing her time on the 40 chickens and their fantastic yard, or making my stay more comfortable (if that's possible). Chris is out amongst his chestnut orchard everyday either checking up on the growth or watching out for any threat at this young production stage or grafting different varieties.

What I have been working on mostly is clearing spaces in the garden with heavy weeding, or thinning young veggies. Also, the many raspberry and blueberry bushes require some care and every time I am out there one particular Rhode Island Red claims me as her companion. She gets right next to me and eats the goodies I'm digging up while weeding, then I find myself having conversations with her and I question my sanity on occasion. She's funny though, she'll let me pet her and push her out of the way when I need the space, then she'll sit on my boots and watch for a while. Haha yeah...my entertainment. (I've named her Belinda) The apples have been thinned considerably, the thistles and morning glory vines have been cleared out around them too. And they have tons of huckleberries here, that they use mostly for ornamentation! I told them how lucky they were to not fight for a berry picking spot every year.

The dog here is Ollie. She is adorable, and hilarious. A big chocolate labradoodle. Her face is beautiful, I'll get a picture up sometime. She loves the attention and has once pushed me over so she could sleep on my legs. Sometimes there are guest dogs here for sitting and they've been fun. At dinner in the house, Chris and Andee will tell me about their fascinating, detailed travels to Turkey and France and Morocco. They have gone all over the place for fun, but also to attend Chestnut Grower's conferences. Chris has an extensive knowledge about all things related and is considered the expert on certain diseases related to the crop.  He took me to a friend's farm yesterday, who provides ingredients to many gourmet places in Portland and used to be the main grower for Cascadian Farms berries, where we toured the property and he inspected this person's chestnuts for issues.

I have taken a few adventures here and there to little towns and attended the Portland State Farmer's Market, which is magnificent to say the least. He bought me the best-tasting Gluten Free/Vegan cinnamon roll and cupcake I've tasted. I felt so meshed with the community in that outing, there is no doubt that I will do perfectly fine moving here. I felt inspired and driven to keep pursuing my goal of living here long term. New Season's Market here is a brilliant organization and I am in the process of filling all of the application requirements. My hosts also have been providing produce for them for the 12 years they have been open, so I'll get a killer reference when needed.

And for those who have not heard, since I have been down here the last 3.5 weeks I have been gaining my immune system back and have been overcoming my food allergies. Straight dairy, via yogurt, has not been successful, but soy use in foods has been fine and small gluten exposure has been ok, along with cheeses. :) This makes me very happy, and I am clearly gaining my weight back. Now I'll let you gaze at some pictures I have so far, could talk forever, but I'll rest now. :)

"Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind." -Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment